- Opportunity for a highly experienced Accountant to join a leading QLD council
- Report directly to the CFO and manage your own team
- Supportive and encouraging environment and excellent remuneration on offer
About the Company
Cook Shire Council is one of the largest employers in Cape York and is based in the beautiful city of Cooktown. Employment with Council offers stability and security, combined with the balanced, tropical lifestyle that comes with living in the region. The Cook Shire is a growing region and the perfect place to be now and into the future. They are the largest land area shire in Queensland, occupying 80 percent of the Cape York Peninsula and feature a pristine coastline, culturally diverse community, friendly locals and huge potential for growth.
About the Role
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Management Accountant will play a critical role in the delivery of Council’s budget, financial compliance and financial reporting function. This includes direct responsibility for operational staff, the development and implementation of effective end of month processes, monitoring of Council’s budget and monthly reporting to Managers, and to work collaboratively with all Council areas to enhance the quality of financial data/reporting.
The key to your success in this role is a proactive and positive approach to customer service. Ideally, you will have previous leadership experience in a similar role.
- Servicing existing accounts and establishing new accounts;
- Management and supervision of the team, including scheduling;
- Conducting of site audits and quality control standards;
- Maintaining exceptional customer service standards.
Skills & Experience required
- Degree qualified in an accounting discipline is essential;
- Qualified or working towards CA or CPA;
- Experience in monthly management accounting with timely preparation of reporting and commentaries on a monthly basis;
- Experience with preparing budgets/forecasts and business performance analysis and reporting;
- Experience in liaising with internal stakeholders at all levels to relay and extract financial information (business partnering experience);
- Experience in local government is preferable and familiarity with the Authority system an advantage.
- Comprehensive knowledge of accounting standards.
This is an opportunity to join an organisation that will provide you with the potential to thrive in a successful environment where you can enhance your knowledge and skillset to support your career long term.
This Council operates under a Certified Agreement with a number of advantages for employees including 5 weeks annual leave, 15 days sick/carers leave and 5 days bereavement leave. Paying 24% above the award a competitive salary is provided and remote living allowance is also applicable. Salary Packaging is available for remote benefits including relocation costs, rent allowance, or home loan interest. A full list of salary packaging inclusion can be provided on application.
The right candidate will enjoy an active lifestyle, love of the great outdoors, boating, camping and fishing, arts and culture or just the peace and quiet of remote living. You must be comfortable living in a remote area and see the benefits this lifestyle can provide you. If you are looking to make a sea change, we strongly encourage you to investigate and visit this region prior to applying to ensure that this is the right move for you. This Council wants to employ people who will make Cooktown their permanent home. We love it and we hope you will too!
How to apply
Via the link below including a cover letter and a recent copy of your resume. Applications that fail to address the outlined criteria may not be considered.
Closing date for applications will be 1700hrs Friday, 25th June 2021
(We reserve the right to close this vacancy early if a suitable candidate is found)
Please note that all communication with Elite Executive is maintained strictly confidential. No information will be forwarded to any party without your permission as we respect your right to explore employment opportunities.
ONLY APPLICANTS WITH THE RIGHT TO WORK IN AUSTRALIA WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS ROLE